The Desert Star School Community Hall Project is now under construction!
After years of preparation, in 2016 Desert Star was awarded a $2,000,000 USDA Rural Development Community Facilities loan to build our Community Hall.
The complete building project includes:
• A 6,300 square foot multipurpose building
• Commercial kitchen and cafeteria space
• A performance stage and seating for 200
• An indoor 1/2 basketball court recreation area
• An additonal classroom
• A dedicated woodworking crafts room
• Improved vehicle access and paved parking
• Much needed increased infrastructure capacity for the entire campus: new septic system, additional water storage, increased electrical power
The new building will create space for students to Eat, Play and Learn.
The school will partner with Yavapai Food Council’s Bountiful Kitchen for operation of the new Community Hall Kitchen including introduction of the USDA Farm to School program. Students will have the opportunity to learn to grow, cook, serve healthy meals - from farm to table.
More than two thirds of Desert Star students are eligible for free or reduced cost meals under the National School Lunch Program. These children and all students will be served by the program
The indoor open area of the Community Hall will offer all students a place where they can enjoy activities from basketball to yoga, to dance and Waldorf style games and activities out of the Arizona sun and winter cold.
Our new Community Hall will provide a space for class plays, musical perfomances, lectures, and festivals. Multiple art forms such as drawing, painting, sculpting, handwork/woodwork, movement, drama and music are essential components of the Desert Star curriculum.