Registration is led by the Admissions Chairperson. It is the purpose of this person to review new student applications in conjunction with the Business-Administration and teacher. To ensure that our specialized curriculum and program are suitable for each individual, we follow a four step process:
- Parent /guardian and student interview with the Admissions Chairperson.
- Parent/guardian and student interview with the class teacher.
- Parent/guardian and student interview with the Special Education Director, if necessary.
- All required paperwork is completed.
A student is formally admitted only after these interviews have taken place, required school records have been received, and space is available in the class. If a student is applying from out of town/state, a phone interview will take place. In accordance with the Arizona State Statute a prospective Kindergarten student must be the age of 5 and a prospective 1stgrader must be the age of 6 by September 1stof the school year. Children whose birthdays fall shortly thereafter are evaluated on an individual basis for readiness only if there is space after all age appropriate students have been enrolled.
Required Forms for Admission
Arizona State Law and MOS require the following forms to be completely filled out by the parent/guardian prior to admittance:
1. A DSCS Registration and Parent Information Form.
2. A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate: Please bring the original and we will copy and certify it for our records.
3. A ‘Certificate of Immunization’ signed by a licensed physician certifying that the child has received age-appropriate immunizations as required by Law, or a ‘Request of Exemption from Immunization’ form signed by a parent or guardian. Please bring the original and we will copy and certify for our records.
4. ‘ESEA Eligibility Guidelines for Free and Reduced-Price Meals’
5. ‘Home Language Survey’
6. An ‘Emergency Medical Information’ card. Please notify the DSCS office immediately upon change of address, daytime phone number, or emergency contact information.
7. A ‘Transmittal for Release of Records’ from the child’s previous school.
8. Blank copies of all of these, except the birth and immunization certificate, are available in the school office.
Open Enrollment Procedure
Currently enrolled students will be automatically re-enrolled unless notice is given to the Business-Administrator.
Desert Star Community School will follow the open enrollment policy required by Arizona (A.R.S. 15-184). The school will enroll all eligible new pupils during the open enrollment period beginning March 18, 2013, who submit a timely Application for Enrollment , unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of a program, class, grade level or building. The school will give enrollment preference to pupils returning to the school after a subsequent year and to siblings of pupils already enrolled in the school. The school will not limit admission based on ethnicity, national origin, gender, income level, disabling condition, proficiency in the English language or athletic ability.